"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." -Coco Chanel
Spoiler alert: the fashion industry is huge, and it's getting bigger. In 2010, for example, the world clothing and textile market surpassed the $2.4 trillion (that's "trillion" with a "t") mark for the first time. Menswear rakes in more than $400 billion, and womenswear captures more than $600 billion each year. In 2010, the average American family spent about $1,700 on apparel and footwear.
What's in Fashion for 2018?
That's a lot of money, and much of it is controlled by forward-leaning designers whose creativity dictates, from one year to the next, what is—and what isn't— "in fashion." This year will be no different, with new styles, colors and designs poised to flood the market. Each year, and 2018 is no different, the question throughout the fashion world is, "what will be hot?"
Although no one can predict with perfect precision what will capture the imagination of the public, early indications are that the following 8 fashion trends will be dominant in the new year:
- Lavender is the new black: according to Pantone, the official color of 2018 is "Ultra Violet," but designers are banking on the pastel shade of lavender to be all the rage this year. Expect the color to appear particularly in pantsuits and dresses early in 2018.
- Art and fashion meet: with designers like Versace leading the way, new designs will feature "wearable art," like designs featuring Warhol prints and the infusion of cartoon art on new designs from Prada, which are already appearing on fashion runways worldwide.
- Plaid is back: plaid is unquestionably making a strong comeback, as evidenced by its emergence on runways last season. The trend is expected to grow in 2018, in everything from men's blazers to coats, accessories and complete plaid outfits.
- In the trenches: if you thought the trench coat was gone, think again. This year, the classic trench will make a strong comeback in endless designs and iterations. In addition to the traditional trench coat look, expect to see variations on that theme, with new cuts and augmentation featuring trench feathers and ruffles.
- Is that fringe I see? Fashion thought leaders like Dior, Loewe and Calvin Klein are making powerful fashion statements with fringe this year. Expect to see dramatic fringe fashion statements appearing on skirts and tops, as well as accessories (like bags).
- If you thought the fanny pack was dead: well, if it was, it got a serious resurrection recently with sightings of fanny packs gracing the outfits of celebrity luminaries like Kendall Jenner and Rihanna. They're also showing up on fashion runways, confirming that it will once again be fashionable to sport a fanny pack next year.
- Flower power: if you squint this season, you might think a time machine had transported you back to the '60s, what with the pervasiveness of new floral designs. You'll see them everywhere, unabashedly borrowing from a look that once defined a generation. Expect especially to see floral designs in dresses and 2-piece outfits.
- Sweating it out: another retro trend (this time harking back to the '80s) this year will be the fusion of fashion and workout gear. Leading designers like Louis Vuitton and Gucci are already unveiling new ways to ensure you don't leave fashion behind when you walk through the doors of your local gym. The trend is also expected to infiltrate everyday (read, non-gym) fashion.
Yet, when it comes to fashion design and those who say what's in or out for the season, one thing is constant: change. The same could be said for site design, web performance, strategy and overall SEO relevance. Like their counterparts in the fashion world, ecommerce solution providers are continually finding new ways to enhance the experience of customers, and help businesses grown their digital presence to achieve targeted key objectives.
To learn more about the ways our ecommerce services will help you increase sales and grow your business, contact Onestop Internet today. We build, launch and manage comprehensive ecommerce solutions providing an acquisition and distribution channel for brands that will leverage best-in-class technologies and performance marketing techniques to realize their full online potential.